For the second year in the row, Ealing Trailfinders were crowned Championship Cup Champions after a 35-31 victory over Jersey Reds at Trailfinders Sports Club.

A Jonah Holmes brace, followed by scores from Jack Digby, Max Bodilly and George Davis helped the Londoners retain the trophy.

They were however pushed hard by the league champions, as a late Ben Woollett double saw Jersey finish with a flourish.

With the atmosphere bubbling up nicely at kick-off, Trailfinders flew out of the blocks! After the rolling maul came up just short, they drew in all numbers, before Craig Hampson slung the ball wide for Holmes to score in the corner after ten minutes. Luke Daniels impressively added the extras from the touchline.

Jersey responded on the twenty minute mark, as Jordan Holgate burst through the defensive line and managed to bundle over despite an impressive covering tackle.

Just before the break, Trailfinders almost got their second, but Holmes was held up after Alun Lawrence was sent to the bin for repeated Jersey offsides.

The start of the second half was very similar to the first, as the hosts flew out of the blocks. It took them only five minutes to score their second try and it was almost a carbon copy of their first. As the maul came up short, the Londoners kept slowly picking and going, making precious meters each time. Then after the numbers were drawn him, Hampson found Holmes on the wing again as he barged over.

Now with a nine point lead, the hosts would have wanted to extend it, however Jersey had other ideas. A fast penalty saw them go to the corner and after their fake maul play came up short, TJ Harris was able to bundle over.

As the hour mark ticked round, tensions were beginning to rise, but a quick fire double from the Londoners helped them assert their authority on the final. First Jack Digby was able to crash over from close range, before a beautiful free flowing move saw Max Bodilly go in and out before rounding the fullback and scoring under the posts!

The Reds, did then respond quickly after they had created an overlap that allowed Woollett to stroll in on the left to make it a nine point game.

In a frantic final ten minutes, George Davis managed to muscle over to extend the hosts’ lead but then Ryan Hutler hit back with another Jersey score.

With the clock moving into the red, Woollett added his second after an incredible length of the field effort, but ultimately it wasn’t enough as the Trailfinders were deservedly crowned champions.

Victorious Director of Rugby Ben Ward said: “I’m absolutely delighted for the boys to get that result.

“After the disappointment of three weeks ago, I think we needed this trophy more than they did and I’m so proud of all the players and staff.

“A word needs to go to Jersey for how well they’ve done this year, they’ve pushed us to be better and I’m looking forward to our battle next year.”

The Bread Street Kitchen & Bar Player of the Match was awarded to Luke Daniels.

The club would like to thank you for all your support throughout the season, in all 34 matches from Biarritz away in preseason, all the way through to today’s final! We look forward to seeing you again next season!


T: Holmes 11’, 44’, Digby 62’, Bodilly 66’, G. Davis 73’

C: Daniels 11’, 44’, 62’ 66’, 73

YouTube player

Braces for Reuben Bird-Tulloch and Jonah Holmes saw Ealing Trailfinders cruise past Doncaster Knights 32-0 in the semi-final of the Championship Cup.

The victory now sets up a mouthwatering final against Jersey Reds, as the two best teams in the league go head to head for one last time this season.

After a scrappy start, which wasn’t helped by the torrential early conditions, Dan Lancaster worked some magic to create the first score after eight minutes. The fly-half put in a beautiful grubber behind the Doncaster defensive line which allowed Reuben Bird-Tulloch to kick it through before then diving on the ball to dot down. The extras were added by Luke Daniels on the day of his 100th appearance.

Over the next 20 minutes, Doncaster did well to stifle the host’s momentum, so after repeated kicks to the corner that were unsuccessful, Trailfinders settled for a penalty on the 25 minute mark to stretch their lead to two scores.

With the half hour mark approaching, Doncaster still hadn’t learnt their lesson about covering in behind! Lancaster this time chose to chip it, and Jonah Holmes didn’t even have to break stride as he regathered! The Welsh international fended off the fullback before scoring under the sticks.

Less than five minutes later, the hosts were in again! After great build-up play from the forwards, the ball found its way to Bird-Tulloch. The centre was able to jink inside and out to beautifully dot down for his brace.

With the clock running down in the first half Daniels added another penalty to make it Ealing Trailfinders 27-0 Doncaster Knights at the break.

After such an exciting first-half from the host’s perspective, the opening to the second 40 was much more muted. There were no scores during the opening twenty minutes, which saw Ollie Newman first sent to the bin for Trailfinders, and then Conor Davidson and then Jake Armstrong replaced him for the visitors shortly afterwards, after repeated penalties at the scrum.

Now down to 13 men, the Trailfinders really turned the screw. After winning the scrum against the head, the ball found it’s way to Holmes on the wing who looked to muscle over for his second. Initially it looked like the Knights were able to hold him up, but the winger did well to reach out and dot down to claim Trailfinders’ fourth try of the afternoon.

With ten minutes left to play, Doncaster threatened to claim a consolation score but the hosts did well to keep them out and make the full time score: Ealing Trailfinders 32-0 Doncaster Knights.

Victorious Director of Rugby Ben Ward said: “I thought the energy and application from our players was fantastic, the scrum was really strong and I thought we won those battles on the floor.

“I think we’re all really excited to face Jersey next season, it’s the two best teams in the league going head to head and it should be a cracker!”

You can watch the full interview with Ben Ward.

Full information about next weekend’s final and the details on date, time and location will be relayed ASAP, please keep an eye on our social media channels!

Full-time score: Ealing Trailfinders 32-0 Doncaster Knights


T: Bird-Tulloch 8, 33, Holmes 29, 71

C: Daniels 8, 29, 33

P: Daniels 25, 38


YouTube player

Ealing Trailfinders put in a strong second-half performance away in Doncaster to secure a 14-35 victory to end their Championship season on a high.

After the disappointment of last weekend, the Trailfinders did well to bounce back against last year’s runners-up, running in five tries including a brace from substitute Bobby De Wee.

After a physical opening ten minutes, the Trailfinders were finally able to get the first score of the game. Following a hard-fought passage of play, the visitors were able to work their way up to the Doncaster 22 from well inside their own half. When the hosts then infringed at the breakdown, the Londoners went to the corner and after several phases, Luke Daniels was able to dot down before impressively converting his own kick from the touchline.

Despite this score, Trailfinders put themselves immediately under pressure from the restart as they gave away a penalty. The Knights were then able to go to the corner and after repeated infringements, Robbie Smith was able to level up for the hosts as he crossed while on a penalty advantage. The extras were added and Shaun Malton was also sent to the bin for repeated team penalties.

The Londoners then did very well to cope with being a man down for most of the next ten minutes. However, with the final play before Malton came back on, Doncaster were able to get themselves into the Trailfinders 22 and after tying in the defenders, they spun it wide as Smith went in for his second before the extras were added from the touchline.

With the first half ticking into its final five minutes, Trailfinders needed something to level up the scores, and Uzokwe was able to deliver. The backrow shrugged off one tackle on the halfway before sprinting clear. He then drew in the fullback before offloading to Bobby De Wee who went in under the posts unopposed. Daniels converted to make the score 14-14 at the break.

The second half got off to a much better start than the first, with Trailfinders quickly gaining territory in the Knights half. After a good attack, an infringement at the breakdown, saw them then able to go to the corner. After faking the maul, they then went through the phases before the ball found its way to De Wee who impressively reached out to grab his second. Daniels kept up his 100% record from the tee despite the tough angle.

Shortly after the restart, the Londoners quickly found themselves back in the Doncaster 22. A penalty allowed them to go to the corner, but just as they got their rolling maul going, the hosts illegally collapsed it. After three further trips to the corner and three subsequent penalties, the Knights were put on a final warning. Although they were then able to legally stop the Trailfinders drive, the visitors went through the phases, eventually seeing Reuben Bird-Tulloch run in under the sticks unopposed.

Ten minutes later, the green and whites had their fifth score, as a penalty in midfield saw them again go to the corner. After getting within 10m of the line, a powerful pick and go game saw Will Davis power over for his third try in just over a month.

As the final fifteen minutes ticked away, Trailfinders looked the more likely of the two sides to score, but the Knights defence held firm and the visitors had to settle for a 14-35 victory.

Although the league season is now over, the Trailfinders will be in action next weekend as they look to retain the Championship Cup. They will be facing Doncaster Knights again, this time at Trailfinders Sports Club, on Saturday 6th May at 3pm, get your tickets for this game here.

Full-time score: Doncaster Knights 14-35 Ealing Trailfinders

T: Daniels 13’, De Wee 35’, 46’, Bird-Tulloch 56’, W. Davis 65’

C: Daniels 14’, 35’, 46’, 56’, 65’

YouTube player

There was hardly anything between the top two teams in the league, but Ealing Trailfinders ultimately fell to Jersey Reds 19-13.

It was a result that could have gone either way, but it now puts the islanders in pole position to lift the trophy with just one round left in the Championship season.

Pregame the atmosphere was palpable, as just over 3,000 supporters squeezed into the Stade Santander International with there being great representation for both sides.

When the game did get underway, both sides started slowly, with everyone knowing the magnitude of the game.

On the ten minute mark, the deadlock was broken, as Steven Shingler slotted a penalty from straight in front of the posts after Jersey Reds strayed offside.

However, it didn’t take long for Jersey to respond. On the fifteen minute mark, Alex McHenry went over for the hosts in the corner while the Reds had penalty advantage.

Despite conceding the first try, Trailfinders built back into the game well. Repeated penalties from the scrum and from the line-out saw the visitors pile on the pressure, and after several pick-and-goes, Rob Farrar was able to muscle over from close range. Shingler added the extras.

It didn’t take long for the hosts to retake the lead however, as on the half hour mark a powerful rolling maul crashed over with Sam Grahamslaw dotting down.

As the half-time whistle beckoned, a breath-taking passage of play saw both Trailfinders and Jersey almost add to their tally, but neither were able to secure the crucial pass and it meant the half-time score was Jersey Reds 12-10 Ealing Trailfinders.

The second half, saw the hosts come out of the blocks fast, knocking on the door of the Trailfinders’ try line for most of the opening fifteen minutes. Despite constant pressure, the Londoners were able to hold firm and escape without conceding.

Then, with what was their first meaningful attack of the half, a huge scrum penalty allowed Shingler to go to the posts again as Trailfinders retook the lead.

This didn’t last for long however, as Will Brown was able to get over in the corner for the hosts and Russell Bennett impressively converted from the touchline.

Despite there being around 15 minutes left on the clock, the tricky conditions meant that it was hard for either side to get continuity in the game.

Then, with the clock in the red, Trailfinders went in search of the score that would see them snatch the game. After starting inside their own half, they were able to work their way into the Reds’ 22, but a knock-on saw those hopes dashed as the full-time whistle went with the scores at Jersey Reds 19-13 Ealing Trailfinders.

This result now sees Jersey Reds two points clear of the Trailfinders as they welcome Ampthill to the Stade next weekend, while the West-Londoners travel to Doncaster.

After the game Ealing Trailfinders Director of Rugby Ben Ward said: “It’s a really tough result to take but I really think we have to congratulate Jersey for today and their performance all season.

“I can’t fault the effort of our boys, but crucially Jersey won some of those key moments and when you have two teams who are so close to each other, these moments are the difference.”

You can watch Ben Ward’s full interview here. Ealing Trailfinders’ next home game is against Doncaster Knights in the Championship Cup semi-final, buy your tickets here.

Full-time score: Jersey Reds 19-13 Ealing Trailfinders

T: Farrar 24

C: Shingler 24

P: Shingler 10, 60


YouTube player

In their last league home game of the season, Ealing Trailfinders ran in 11 tries to stay a point ahead of Jersey Reds ahead of next week’s Championship decider on the island.

On the day of his 50th appearance for the club, Simon Uzokwe led the team out and then it took him only a minute to get the scoring underway. The openside ran the perfect support line after Jack Digby made a strong break and was able to muscle over.

Caldy however didn’t back down, and ten minutes later they levelled the scores up, as Louis Beer scored in the corner after the visitors made use of their overlap.

Despite this, Trailfinders reclaimed control of the game through Alun Walker, as the hooker claimed a brace inside five minutes. The first came on the back of a rolling maul and then the second saw him splinter off to crash over on his own!

On the 25th minute Reuben Birch dotted down from close range for the visitors, but this was where there scoring ended as Trailfinders were able to cut loose.

Luke Daniels grabbed his first just before the half hour mark and then with a few minutes left to play in the half, the hosts scored their best of the day. An intricate, pre-planned move saw Craig Hampson putting Andrew Davidson through a hole and the second-row was able to gallop in from 25 metres out.

Then, with the half-time whistle approaching, Max Bodilly made a delicious break before fending off the final defender to score. Steven Shingler added the conversion to the score Ealing Trailfinders 40-14 Caldy.

The second 40 didn’t start quite as quickly as the first, as it took ten minutes for replacement hooker Shaun Malton to grab his first. Caldy then had their best chance to score in the second-half, but the Trailfinders defence stood firm and then they completed the clearance by winning a big penalty at the scrum.

On the 65th minute mark, Malton added his second as he weaved in and out of the last few defenders to score.

Three minutes later, Daniels was on the end of a large overlap to cross in the corner, before intelligently scampering under the sticks to make his own conversion easier.

As the game drew to its conclusion, there was just about time for two late scores. First Dan Lancaster put a cross field kick to Jonah Holmes on a sixpence to allow the fullback to run in the try from halfway without even breaking stride.

Then, in the final play of the game, the ball found it’s way to Nathan Earle, and the winger accelerated clear to dot down on his return from injury.

The Bread Street Kitchen & Bar Player of the Match was awarded to Simon Uzokwe.

Tickets are now on sale for our Championship Cup Semi-Final against Doncaster Knights on Saturday 6th May at Trailfinders Sports Club (KO 3pm). Click here to purchase tickets. To book our delicious pre-match hospitality email:

Full-time Score: Ealing Trailfinders 73-14 Caldy

T: Uzokwe 1, Walker 15, 20, Daniels 28, 68, Davidson 37, Bodilly 40, Malton 52, 65, Holmes 76, Earle 79

C: Shingler 1, 15, 20, 37, 40, Daniels 52, 65, 68, 76

YouTube player


YouTube player

Ealing Trailfinders survived a late second-half comeback, as they secured a 31-40 victory away at Bedford Blues.

At one point the visitors were 12-33 in front, but Bedford cut loose in the final 20 and managed to bring it the score back to 31-33 with six minutes to go.

But a late score from the league’s top scorer Carlo Tizzano, helped the league leaders maintain their six point lead at the top, and also end Bedford’s unbeaten home record this season.

It was a game where the Trailfinders flew out of the blocks, with Alun Walker marauding down the right touchline before getting the ball back inside to Luke Daniels who dotted down after two minutes. The winger, who was given the kicking duties for the afternoon, impressively converted from the touchline to get the visitors off to the perfect start.

Bedford then responded quickly however. First they dotted down from close range, before then getting their second on the quarter of an hour mark after an exciting passage of play saw them take advantage of an overlap.

Now with the momentum against them, Trailfinders went back to their basics which sae them grab a quick fire double of their own.

First Craig Hampson sold an outrageous dummy from close range to muscle over after a powerful rolling maul had come up just short. Then with five minutes left of the first half, a wayward kick to Jonah Holmes saw the fullback cut free. The Welshman spotted a gap in the defensive line, and despite being tap-tackled, managed to get back to his feet before offloading to Andrew Davidson. The second-row then released Simon Uzokwe, and the number eight put on the afterburners to run in the score from 30m out. Daniels converted both scores to make it Bedford Blues 12-21 Ealing Trailfinders at the break.

The second 40 started in very similar fashion to the first, Trailfinders scoring early. It took just four minutes for Walker to muscle over on the back of a powerful rolling maul, as the visitors grabbed the bonus point after just 44 minutes.

Throughout the afternoon, Trailfinders had had some serious scrum dominance, and on the 55th minute, the referee ran out of patience as he sent the Bedford prop to the bin. Instantly they made the extra numbers pay, as they worked the ball from right to left, tying in the defenders and making space for Max Bodilly to score in the corner.

With twenty minutes to go and the score being 12-33, Trailfinders should have cruised to victory, but Bedford had other ideas. Dean Adamson and Michael Le Bouigoius went over either side of a Cian Kelleher yellow card to make it 24-33. Then with the game entering the final stages, Jake Garside grabbed the visitors’ fifth to make it a two point game with six minutes to go.

Trailfinders could have then been shell shocked after this rapid comeback from the hosts, but they regrouped and slowly reasserted their dominance. After repeated penalties, Tizzano crashed over with three minutes to play to ensure the victory and see them return to Ealing with all five points!

It was a performance the whole team can be proud of, but it was a particularly proud day for George Davis, as the tighthead not only dominated the scrum, but he also made his 50th appearance for the club and was presented with his cap after the game.

YouTube player
YouTube player

A Will Davis brace helped Ealing Trailfinders to a dominant victory over Cornish Pirates at Trailfinders Sports Club.

In what was a close first half, the hosts were able to keep the visitors scoreless in the second 40 as they managed to break the half century with the final play of the game.

The win sees Trailfinders move six points clear at the top of the Championship table as they head into the final month of the season.

With a big crowd inside TFSC, the ‘Green and Whites’ took no time to fire into action, with Ollie Newman bursting through the Pirates defence to score unopposed after three minutes.

Three minutes after that, a silky first phase move almost saw Cian Kelleher go over in the corner, but the ball was quickly recycled and shifted to the far side allowing Alun Walker to crash over.

Then, with Pirates’ first attack of the game, Robin Wedlake went on a mazy run and managed to score in the far corner.

Trailfinders answered straight back just before the 20 minute mark, as Davis was able to bundle over from close after several effective pick and go phases from the forwards.

Pirates then got their second of the match after AJ Cant burst through the line and found Arthur Relton to allow the winger to make it 19-12.

It appeared that the scoring was done for the first half, but with the clock in the red, Pirates captain Rory Part was sent to the bin. Then off the following scrum, Harvey Beaton was also sent to the bin for repeated scrum penalties. Now being down to 13 men, Trailfinders swung the ball wide and Kelleher ran in unopposed.

In the second-half, it took the hosts only three minutes for Davis to grab his second, again bundling over from close range.

Then just after the 50 minute mark, a free-flowing move was finished off by Dan Lancaster putting in a cheeky grubber kick which allowed Pat Howard to dot down.

After a scrappy 20 minutes which followed this, James Cordy-Redden was able to bundle over for his sixth try of the month.

With a few minutes left to go, the latest graduate from the Trailfinders Rugby Academy at Brunel University, Lefty Zigiriadis came off the bench to make his first team appearance.

The final try of the day was potentially the best, as Trailfinders went the length of the pitch as Max Bodilly secured the eight try to put the cherry on top of an already impressive cake!

YouTube player


YouTube player


Jonah Holmes crossed for a brace as Ealing Trailfinders powered to a 21-41 win over Nottingham at Lady Bay.

The league leaders scored seven tries to Nottingham’s three to romp to an impressive 20 point victory and maintain their six point lead at the top of the Championship table.

Trailfinders arrived at Lady Bay with plenty of confidence following last Saturday’s 66-0 win over London Scottish, but it was the hosts who took the early lead. Nottingham gained possession near their own try-line and spread the ball wide to winger Jordan Olowofela who broke through the Trailfinders defence to charge up the pitch and score. The try was converted and Nottingham led 7-0 after four minutes.

Nottingham’s early dominance only lasted three minutes. Prop Dan Richardson was shown a yellow card and the West Londoners took full advantage, passing quickly to fly-half Craig Willis who dotted down in the corner.

With the Trailfinders pack starting to build their dominance and with the backs finding their attacking flair (despite the muddy conditions), fullback Jonah Holmes collected a neat grubber kick to power over and score near the sticks. Willis added the extras and the visitors were out to a 7-12 lead after 20 minutes.

Five minutes later and it was extended to 7-19. Centre Max Bodilly charged down the Nottingham kick to collect possession and cross for Trailfinders’ third try. Willis converted and the visitors were starting to build momentum.

With the clock ticking over 30 minutes, Trailfinders set up for the attacking lineout. The forwards won possession and formed a formidable driving maul. The maul drove powerfully towards the Nottingham line with experienced hooker Alun Walker bulldozing his way over to extend Trailfinders’ lead to 7-24.

With the bonus point secured, Ealing Trailfinders were determined to maintain their dominance in the second 40. They shot out of the blocks quickly, working the ball into Nottingham territory before a fast break and neat pass saw prop Kyle Whyte stride in from 15 metres.

Facing an ever increasing margin, Nottingham showed their resilience hitting the scoreboard just four minutes later. Fly-half Sam Hollingsworth fired an impressive cross-field kick to winger Ryan Olowofela who collected the ball to dot down in the corner. Hollingsworth converted and the score was cut to 14-29.

With both sides looking to gain control in the middle phases of the second half, it took another 15 minutes before the next score. Trailfinders built attacking momentum before a lovely wide move saw Holmes slice through the Nottingham defence and cross for his second of the match. Willis slotted the conversion and the West Londoners were out to a 14-36 lead.


Ten minutes later and Nottingham reduced the deficit, adding their third try with a well worked score in the far corner. Hollingsworth converted to reduce the deficit to 21-36.

But with the clock ticking towards the red, it was Trailfinders who had the last laugh. With five minutes to go, replacement flanker Simon Uzokwe powered his way over to extend the lead to 21-41 and secure an impressive bonus point victory.

Tickets are on sale for next Saturday’s Championship fixture against Cornish Pirates at Trailfinders Sports Club (KO 3pm). Click here to purchase tickets. To book our delicious pre-match hospitality email:

Full-time Score: Nottingham 21-41 Ealing Trailfinders

T: Willis 8′, Holmes 19′, 61′, Bodilly 25′, Walker 31′, Whyte 42′, Uzokwe 75′

C: Willis 19′, 25′, 62′

YouTube player

A James Cordy-Redden hat-trick helped Ealing Trailfinders secure a dominant 66-0 victory over London Scottish.

It was the second week in a row that the Trailfinders nilled their opposition, as they stretched their lead at the top of the Championship to six points.

The hosts came out of the blocks fast, securing the bonus point within the first 40 minutes.

However, it was the second half where they really stretched their legs, scoring six tries to claim their second London derby win in as many weeks.

It took only four minutes for the hosts to score, with Reuben Bird-Tulloch dotting down after a great break from Jonah Holmes.

Ten minutes later, Kyle Whyte got over from close range, before Cordy-Redden then got his first after being on the end of an overlap.

After all this West-London pressure, Scottish then had their first trip into the hosts’ 22, but an error at the maul meant it came to nothing.

Just before the 35 minute mark, Alun Walker and the Trailfinders pack showed how to execute a rolling maul, as they secured the bonus point from five metres out.

The ‘Green and Whites’ were unable to add another in the first half, but it didn’t take them long to do so in the second, as Walker claimed his brace on the 42nd minute, again on the back of a maul.

On the 50 minute mark, Holmes got on the end of a Max Bodilly kick in behind after Kyle Whyte had stripped the Scots in the midfield. Then five minutes later Simon Uzokwe bundled over after just coming onto the pitch. Craig Willis added the extras to ensure he stayed at 100%, slotting seven from seven.

As both sides rung the changes, there was a slight interruption in the momentum, but this only lasted 10 minutes until Trailfinders were over again. Jordan Burns spotted space on the blindside and found Bird-Tulloch. The centre superbly stood up his defender, giving Cian Kelleher the half-metre he needed to score.

The final ten minutes only saw two more tries, both going to Cordy-Redden. The first saw the Player of the Month picking off an intercept after some strong defence from the rest of the side. He then completed his hat-trick by getting on the end of a beautiful team move as he scored in the corner, making the full-time score Ealing Trailfinders 66-0 London Scottish.

After the game, victorious Director of Rugby Ben Ward said: “We’re delighted with that performance. It’s always great to score ten tries, but I think we’re most pleased to stop our opponents scoring for the second week in a row!”

The Bread Street Café Player of the Match was awarded to Kyle Whyte.

Click here to watch Ben Ward’s and James Cordy-Redden’s post-match interview.

Tickets are now on sale for our next home fixture against Cornish Pirates on Saturday 25th March at Trailfinders Sports Club (KO 3pm). Click here to purchase tickets. To book our delicious pre-match hospitality email:

Full-time Score: Ealing Trailfinders 66-0 London Scottish

T: Bird-Tulloch 4′, Whyte 15′, Cordy-Redden 21′, 68′, 78′, Walker 32′, 42′, Holmes 49′, Uzokwe 55′, Kelleher 64′

C: Willis 4, 15′, 21′, 32′, 42′, 49′, 55′, Lancaster 69′

YouTube player